In September 1940, in annexed Alsace, close to the village of Natzwiller (called Natzweiler in German), the Nazis discovered a vein of pink granite. In March 1941, Himmler, head of the SS, ordered that a concentration camp be built to exploit the granite for the major construction projects of the Reich. On 1st May 1941, at the place known as “Struthof”, Konzentrationslager Natzweiler was officially opened. From 1941 to 1945, 52,000 prisoners, of more than 30 different nationalities, were sent to Natzweiler and its subcamps. 35,000 prisoners did not go through the main camp. Around 17,000 prisoners died in the nebulous Natzweiler system, including 3,000 at the main camp. This infoclip illustrates the Struthof”, Konzentrationslager Natzweiler (Memorial).