European Green Deal
Event date: 05/12/2019
The ‘European Green Deal’ proposed by Ursula von der Leyen, President of the EC, sets several goals for climate and nature in Europe and beyond:
- a European climate law to enact the 2050 target;
- an extension of the emissions trading system;
- a European carbon border tax; more ambitious targets and reduce emissions by at least 50% by 2030;
- a sustainable Europe investment plan to boost private investments;
- a just transition fund so no one is left behind; a biodiversity strategy for 2030
- and a new circular economy action plan.
MEPS debate and vote on new 2030 emissions reduction target
Exchange of views with Frans TIMMERMANS, Executive Vice-President of the European Commission in charge of the European Green Deal
MEPs debate the importance of urban and green infrastructure
During the plenary session (9-12 March 2020), MEPs discuss their expectations regarding upcoming Commission proposals on the climate law.
MEPs vote on legislative proposals to help EU communities succeed in making the transition to low carbon
During the plenary session (13-16 January 2020), MEPs debate on the sustainable investment plan, just transition fund and roadmap on Social Europe, in the EP in Strasbourg.
During the extraordinary sitting of 11 December 2019 in the European Parliament in Brussels, MEPs debate on the European Green Deal.